Saturday, November 14, 2009

growing up with tendlya

20 years ago, a wisp of a boy entered our collective consciousness. His feats over the years have ensured that he stays there.

Every generation needs its heroes. In Sachin Tendulkar, we found ours. So much has been written about him, so much has changed around him. He remains the same; the kid looking for the next match.

I think the debate about him being the greatest is pointless. There is no fair comparison. I always look at it as you had your Sunny bhai we have our sachin. Its not a safe stand just a more ‘susegad’ one. Should we compare two diamonds and argue over which one shines brighter. I simply cannot understand the point of it all.

For me the turning point in my life was the Sharjah sandstorms, post those brilliant innings I started believing in the concept of god. The opposition could have fielded 20 players without making an iota of a difference. It had to be a divine force powering those arms; it could not be simply dna, tissue,bone , genetics and ability.

I do not know how we will cope with his retirement, hope his last match is in Mumbai at wankhede or better still shivaji park where it all started.

No comments:

Post a Comment